Thursday, November 20, 2008

Thoughts I like regarding Salt

"When there is trouble in your house, sprinkle salt in all corners of all rooms, sweep up the salt the next morning and throw it (and your troubles) in front of the house."

"Crazy people eat a lot of salt."

-from Superstitions: 10,000 You Really Need


"Today, there are such expressions as "taking things with a pinch of salt", or "with a grain of salt". The meaning being, one must not believe all and everything but must instead use wisdom and through that come to wise assessments and conclusions."


References to salt in history (religious and otherwise) have linked salt with many attributes, including purification, banishment of evil or negativity, wisdom, a symbol of friendship, covenant making and sacrifice (even used in purifying anointment oils in the Old Testament) and peace.

I may be crazy (I like eating a lot of sea salt), but I also like the attributes linked with it.

I started sprinkling a line of salt in front of my doorways the other week. I like thinking that it keeps any negativity out, and enhances friendship and peace within.

Of course, many things in my belief system provide and maintain peace, but this is one I want to focus on today.

Any thoughts?

3 comments:

Julie said...

It is interesting me that we should live in SALT Lake valley. Next to the great SALT lake. Hmmmm... there is a lot of salt around here. SALT Crystals too! And the SALT flats between here and Nevada, California. Keeping trouble and negativity out maybe?

Fascinating thoughts my dear!

Ezmerelda Endora Enid said...

Hey, that's CRAZY!! I never thought about it that way!

Julie said...

Not too mention, the Dead Sea in Israel. I heard that is the saltiest body of water ever. Even more than the ocean. (Hence the dead in the title. Nothing able to live in it). Interesting that it was the place in which Jesus lived near by. right? I could be way off though. But it is an interesting correlation. Especially the covenant making correlation with salt & people. We should talk about this next time I see you. Fascinating.